standing military press
The military press is a compound movement used to build size and strength in the shoulders. It was once contested as a fourth powerlift, but is rarely competed anymore. However, being able to press a significant weight overhead remains a popular marker of upper-body strength. The military press can be trained as a strength lift or in traditional muscle-building rep ranges as part of full-body, shoulder-focused, or upper-body training.
STANDING MILITARY PRESS BENEFITS:
- Serious shoulder builder and overall strength measurement
- Builds upper-body strength for other movements
- Encourages healthy shoulder mobility
- Triceps, core, upper back, and legs help move and stabilize the barbell
Video Source: ScottHermanFitness
- Type: Strength
- Main Muscle Worked: Shoulders
- Equipment: Barbell
- Level: Intermediate
STEP BY STEP GUIDE:
- In a squat rack so you don’t have to heave the bar off the floor and into position. Start with the barbell set up in the rack at mid-chest height.
- Grab the bar with hands slightly wider than shoulder-width, palms facing forwards.
- Stand close to the bar and bend your knees, contract your core and glutes and drive up with your legs and take the bar off the rack support. Take a couple of steps back so you’ve got room to raise the bar.
- With the bar level with your chin, make sure your elbows are pointing forwards rather than flaring out to your sides. As you press up and lower down, try to keep your elbows pointing forwards.
- Now’s the time to drive, soldier. Take a sharp breath in, tense your glutes and torso, and drive the bar straight up, breathing out as you press. As you near full extension, push your head forwards so your biceps align closely with your ears to ensure good form and ensure you don’t arch your back.
- As you lower the bar under control to chin level, move your head back slightly so you don’t clip your forehead on the way down. Keep your core tensed throughout the set. Once you’ve put the weight down you can relax. At ease, soldier. Good job.
REPEAT FOR DESIRED REPS