The cable shrug is an exercise targeting the traps, as well as hitting the shoulders and upper back. Cables allow for lighter loading which is beneficial for higher-rep sets. It is usually performed such as 10-30 reps per set or more, as part of an upper-body or shoulder-focused workout.
CABLE SHRUG BENEFITS:
- Builds the traps for aesthetic and strength purposes
- Works the shoulders through a full range of motion with good posture
- Cables allow for constant tension on the muscles
Video Source: BPI Sports
- Main Muscle Worked: Traps
- Secondary Muscles Worked: None
- Type: Strength
- Equipment: Cables
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Force Type: Pull
- Level: Beginner
STEP BY STEP GUIDE:
- Stand in front of a cable pulley. Feet are shoulder-width. Your core is tight and lower back is flat.
- Choose your ideal weight with the pin. Hold the cable bar and let it hang in front of you. Keep the weight close to your body.
- Without using your arms, inhale as you bring your the bar up towards your nose/chin. Driving with elbows
- Hold the movement at the top then slowly bring the weight back down.
REPEAT FOR DESIRED REPS