dumbbell side lateral raise
The dumbbell lateral raise is an upper body isolation exercise for building shoulder strength and muscle. It’s a staple strength training move and is a great option for accessory work on upper body training days. This exercise particularly focuses on the lateral or medial head of the deltoid, making them appear wider and more developed.
DUMBBELL SIDE LATERAL RAISE BENEFITS:
- Builds shoulder strength and size, even with light weights
- Makes shoulders appear wider and rounder
- Can be done standing or seated
Video Source: Seth Feroce
- Main Muscle Worked: Shoulders
- Secondary Muscles Worked: Traps, Triceps
- Type: Strength
- Equipment: Dumbbells
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Force Type: Pull
- Level: Beginner
STEP BY STEP GUIDE:
- Grab a set of dumbbells and stand straight up with the dumbbells at your sides.
- Your palms should be facing your body. You should be holding the dumbbells slightly off your body, as this keeps the tension on the side delts. This is your starting position for the exercise.
- To execute, slowly raise the dumbbells up to around shoulder height. It’s important that you do not let your wrists go above your elbows while raising the weight, as this will take the work off the side delts and put it on the front delts.
- Pause at the top of the movement, and then slowly lower the weight back to the starting position.
- Do not let the dumbbells touch your body, and then raise them for the next rep.
REPEAT FOR DESIRED REPS